In case you missed it on the home page, at left is the rough draft of the Relic book cover. It was designed by Lee Taylor and agreed upon by Danielle Zwissler and me, though it needs a few subtle changes. Other than the different font I'd previously chosen, the tagline needs a period. Also, there's an eye on the left of the center mannequin, but an empty white hole on the right. I suggested adding shadow to that side to cover that up; we'll see what Lee comes up with).
A feeling of facelessness is a huge notion of the novel's antihero, so the mannequins (and especially the one in the mask) is very symbolic and metaphorical. I love it, and Danielle does, too.
In other news, I made it to about page 77 of the edits yesterday. I'd been told that there weren't many changes after page 40, so I did a very bad, very lazy thing. I skimmed through and accepted all the minor changes within pages 10-40 without paying much attention to what I was doing. Well, after page 40, I started paying attention to those changes....
The punctuation changes in the dialogue lead-ins are all wonky. Rather than, "He grimaced. '___,'" with a period to show the non-verbal is a complete sentenced, she changed it to, "He grimaced, '___," with a comma when, you know... a grimace is not a way of speaking. That's just one example of a non-verbal/action lead-in being changed from a period to a comma. It's tacky, in my opinion, and when I told Danielle, she told me not to worry too much, as she has the final edit (and she's much more familiar with the rules of grammar and punctuation). She told me to reject those changes, but as I'd already accepted them, I have to go back to pages 11 through 40 and change them BACK. Blah.
Other than the punctuation, there haven't been many changes I've been uncomfortable with. As I said in my last blog (Monday, I think?), it was pointed out to me that in the current publishing market, a possessive form of a name ending in "S" is now acceptable with just an apostrophe. However, the first-round edits only changed it from Simmons's to Simmons' once. I told Danielle I'd keep it consistent, but I had already changed that first example. Fortunately, I had put off changing the first such change, so I didn't have to fix it at all.
I'm looking forward to being done with the first-round edits, so I'd better try to finish today and tomorrow. Not counting the 30 or so pages I need to repair after accepting those bogus changes, I have about 180 pages remaining out of 257. I'll disconnect the wireless network from my laptop again after I finish posting this blog so I can work without distractions. Well... almost. My family will no doubt find a way to distract me, as usual... but I'll try!
Danielle said she'd like to have a ro draft paperback ready for me by the Akron Comic Con. That's only two and a half weeks away. If that's to happen, I'd better finish those first-round edits ASAP. And on that note, I'd better get to work. To be continued...
Blog of author Roy Hudson..